Addi's had her 2-yr check up last week. She is 32 3/4inches tall (20th percentile) and 26lbs 8oz in weight (50th percentile). We are so excited she finally gained a little weight - almost a pound in the last month since her adenoid removal and second set of tubes. I wonder if that had anything to do with it but I didn't ask. Her doctor said she looks great and that her iron levels are wonderful. She said she is above where she should be in her language skills. She asked if she had at least 50 words, and I explained that we stopped keeping count months ago because she has so many words. She asked about two word sentences, and I explained that she is using several word sentences and has been asking questions and using articles for a while now. We don't go back for a well visit until she is 3.
She is recognizing many letters and numbers now. When we ride in the car and go places she points out letters, numbers, and shapes that she sees (e.g. diamond on the bike signs; K in the Circle K sign). She is talking a lot more but there are still parts of it we can't understand. It just sounds like she is having a conversation with us so we go with it. She is also picking up everything we say so we have to be careful not to mention things that we don't plan on doing and what we say in general. If "outside" is mentioned...she wants to go for example. Last weekend she kept saying things like, mmmm, coffee and mommy's coffee when she was playing in her kitchen. She has also started talking on her play phone randomly while she is playing. We overhear her talking to Bear and Granddaddy most often although she also talks to Sitti, Papa, Aunt Chelle, Elise, Ella Russell, and Mimi pretty often. Sorry Uncle D, Uncle Charles, and Aunt Sally. I guess she needs to start talking to you all more often on the phone so she will play talk with you :) She says things like, hey, how ya doing? and mmmhmm. Okay. and love you too. bye. If you ever want to know what you sound like, have a child! We learned while the family was in town that she knows her months of the year, although she often skips February. Another thing she picked up from school. We love her new teacher Miss Robin, although we loved her old teacher Miss Chris as well. Miss Robin already invited us to circle time so I need to make an effort to get there sometime so I can sit in on it. They have an open door policy but its nice to get invited. She also said that whenever we decide to start potty training she will work on it with Addison. She is training several kids right now, which is probably why Addi's interest in the potty has increased. She never actually goes when we put her on the potty though. Right now we are going to wait a little longer then we might try some underwear and see if she understands what is going on and if that makes a difference. She is holding it longer so she has fewer wet diapers, she asks about it, and she can take her pants off so we are starting to show signs of readiness. The last thing we want is to start early and be potty training for several months. She has also cut one of her 2-year molars and the others are coming I'm sure.
On another note...I was accepted into the 2011 AECT Intern program. AECT is an organization in our field and they hold a international conference each year. This is a huge honor as it is a prestigious program in which a select number of students are chosen. This program is geared to teach me how to be an academic leader in our field. During the conference, I will have various roles and responsibilities, and I will be able to meet many of the leaders in our field. From what I understand (I haven't gotten the full details since I just found out) I will be able to shadow several of these leaders and have opportunities to talk with them and ask them questions about being a leader in our field, about working in our field, etc. During the conference week there are many other tasks (e.g. chairing a session, participating in seminars) that I will have but I don't know all of the details yet. I will also serve on an AECT committee throughout the next year. It is a great experience and a wonderful networking opportunity. This year it turns out it is in Jacksonville so just down the road. I am so honored and excited!
No comments:
Post a Comment