We have a lot going on right now, which is why I haven't blogged lately. It is pretty long-winded so hopefully I won't lose you all!
I just accepted a job in SC and we are really excited to be moving closer to family and friends there. I am a project director at a technical college about 30 minutes from where my parents live. I will be in doing some design and development work for online courses with open labs and then also managing the project itself. I am also working with the workforce readiness center that is being developed in order to increase employment in the state. There will be other tasks associated with the position as well. I will still be doing some separate consulting for them (I have been doing a few hours a week as a consultant for their online college for the last year). I have loved my work there and working with the faculty has been great. I met my team this past week and they are wonderful! I know that I am going to have a great experience here.
The offer came out of nowhere really. In December when we were in SC over the holiday break I figured out that I would be in town when the college was open so we set up a time to meet in person. Prior to this I hadn't met any of the people I was working with in person. After 15 minutes of meeting, the person who had hired me said that the VP of Academics wanted to meet with me. I said sure and we headed to her office to meet her. This meeting turned into an interview. I found that I was able to answer the questions they asked me and honestly I just felt really comfortable being there. She told me that she would like to hire me for the position if I was interested, and I asked several questions and then I told her that I needed to process things and would get back to her. I went ahead and applied for the position although I hadn't made up my mind. We talked again once school was back in session and after a few weeks and more information, I decided to take the job. It just felt right. So I started this past week and love it. The people and work community are amazing. They are really family oriented and doing a lot of wonderful things and positively impacting a lot of people's lives. I was told that I can teach as well, but won't until after my dissertation in complete.
We found a preschool for Addi and she starts March 5th so right now she is with Scott in FL. Scott will head up this way when his job situation is figured out...most likely in March as well. We are going to stay with my parents and are working on selling the house. Once Scott is here and we know where he will be and we know more about the situation with our house in FL, we will decide where we want to be. We will be close to Scott's parents and my parents and our siblings live in Charleston which is only an hour or so away. Plus we have so many friends here and have so much support here.
The college really wants me to get my PhD and since they are on a four-day week (I will do some half days on Fridays if I want), I will be able to use Fridays to work on my dissertation. All of my data is collected, but I have 6 months of data to analyze and write up so that takes time. Instead of graduating this summer it will most likely be in the Fall. The time period of getting paperwork in, etc will determine exactly when I graduate. They are also pretty understanding with me taking the time to go to FL as needed.
So things are hectic for us right now, but we have a lot of great things going on. I have missed Addison and Scott greatly and get to see them some next week. They call me twice a day at least and Addison and I have great conversations. She always starts with hey, its Addison and ends with have fun, i love you, miss you too. Here are some pictures from last weekend (the morning that I moved).
| Show me your "surprise face" |
Congratulations! So glad you found such a great job that is a fit for you. Hope all works out with everyone else moving to you soon.
ReplyDeleteThanks!
Delete