Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Rocky Mountain High - Denver

I just got back from the AERA (American Educational Research Association) conference in Denver. While in Denver I learned many things:
  1. I don't do well in high altitudes. While in Denver, I had what they call "high altitude sickness." It started with a headache and swollen eyes. I was exhausted but couldn't sleep, my stomach hurt - I was so bloated that I looked pregnant yet I couldn't eat, my nose bled, my ankles were swollen, my hands were peeling, I had to buy tears drops for my eyes - I was a mess! I drank more water than ever and still enjoyed my stay, but I don't think we will be moving to Denver anytime soon.
  2. Denver isn't in the Rockies - it's near the foothills, which reminded me of the Appalachian mountains. It is considered "high desert" and only gets about 12inches of rain a year. 
  3. I like living at or near sea level.
  4. I enjoy tour-bus tours! Seriously, I had a blast on the one tour I went on - I loved the "all-knowing" tour guide as we drove by various things in CO.
  5. Blue Moon beers are made by Coors. I do not like Coors beer but I love Blue Moon and their seasonal beers so this was a surprise to me. 
  6. It is a pain in the butt to travel and I don't know how Scott does it all the time. 
  7. Buffalo Bill was a huge supporter of women and minorities
  8. There is a row of purple seats in the MLB stadium that is exactly a mile-high
  9. I am getting better at articulating my research and was able to answer a lot of questions I didn't realize I could answer! This is a huge deal for me!!! I had three separate presentations and from each one I learned something about myself.
  10. It is impossible to capture the beauty of Colorado in pictures, but I tried.
This is a picture of the skyline while I was walking to the Aquarium. I stay just outside of the downtown area.

This is the skyline of Denver from Lookout Mountain about 20-30 miles out I believe. It is where Buffalo Bill is buried.


I visited the Aquarium while in Denver and they had a tiger (just part of the exhibit I was told) and it was really cool! The tiger played in the water and was fascinating!  I also went on a foothills bus tour in which we visited the Coor's Brewery in Golden, CO (smelled awful), the Red Rock Amphitheater (this was so cool!!!!!), and the Buffalo Bill Museum (Buffalo Bill's grave site included).
Pictures of the amazing tiger!
Red Rock Amphitheater. Seats were carved out for about 10,000 people. You can see some of the rows of seats in the second picture.
Here I am at the museum hanging out with Bill and the buffalo.


A picture of me looking serious - I was caught off guard and didn't want to ask the guy to take another picture. I kind of like it although this coat makes me look larger than I really am.

No comments:

Post a Comment